Mixed Media Art. Photography. Inspiration.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer of Color : Blue Cards


Hello there.  I made not just one, but two cards for the first week of the Summer of Color.  This week's color is blue, so of course I had to go with my favorite turquoisy-blue.  

For the first card (more blue in person) I glued down several layers of paper, but wasn't quite liking it.  I ended up grabbing a stencil and heavy gel medium to create the raised stencil pattern and covered up the rest of the card with the medium also.  When it dried I painted it with many layers of blues, cream, and a touch of copper until I liked the effect. 

 I did learn an important lesson with this card.... open it first before slathering on the gel medium or you will glue the card closed.  Yup.  Lesson learned.  I had to cut it open, but it's all good now ;-)










The second card has a layer of hand-painted paper (which ended up mostly covered up by more paint!).   I glued down the center medallion (apparently I'm into medallions right now lol!), which was cut from a scrapbook paper by "Daisy D's" that I love, which then got some paint brushed over it to blend in.  Then I dumped some Distress embossing powder by Tim Holtz into the wet glue and used a heat gun to emboss it.  When that set up, I doodled with a black pen to add some details and used the end of a paint brush to add some cream dots.  And finally I stamped on a quote...


"...the artist is not there to be one with the world-
he is there to transform it"
        --Anias Nin


Yes. 
 Love that!

There's still time to join in with your own blue creations.  Just pop on over to Twinkle Twinkle for the details on the Summer of Color fun!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there E,

I just stumbled onto your lovely art blog, through "Other Peoples Flowers" blog.
I love your mixed media art.
When ever I get the chance to escape children, food preparation, or laundry I do a little dabbling in mixed media. Fabric and paper are my favorite, (not blessed with ability to paint much) I love your shadow pictures too, and will be stopping by again.
Cheers
Leah

Mandy said...

you never fail me E...lol...really...turquoise is my favourite colour at the moment....and these are just beautiful...and what a fabulous quote...this is just perfect, the texture, the colour...loves it!!!have a great weekend...xxx

Antonella said...

Oh, what beautiful cards... I chuckled when you wrote that you glued the card shut, all I could think was yeah - that would be me - lol... turquoise is my favorite color, I mean how can you go wrong. Hugs, antonella :-)

Rossylalah said...

I'm with everyone above in regards to color. I am going to try these ideas right now, this minute Esther! I have been a little off creatively so this might just get me out of the rut. Love the cards!

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

I love the turquoisy blue & great texture!

Lesley said...

Wow love your cards. Thanks for explaining the process as well. Wonderful creations.

Beverley Baird said...

Love your cards! Love the texture and the descriptions of your processes! (Great colour too!)
Love that quote especially! You certainly do transform the world!

Kristin said...

Yay I love this! they look amazing :) I'm so jealous of all your stuff, its so awesome. I don't think there is anything you've done that I don't absolutely love. :)

Ella said...

These look fab; I love the quote and how you did the raised up image. It has a patina look to it~! Well Done

Kristin said...

So very, very beautiful! I LOVE all the texture and the quote is fabulous. And I agree, it is so cool to hear your process - I would not have know that was embossing powder on the second card, but it really does bring wonderful dimension. Thank you so much for sharing your work with us, xoxoox

Daniele Valois said...

I love this quote!!! And the texture is wonderful. I can almost feel it though the screen!

Lesley Edmonds said...

I just love the colours and textures here and that sentiment fits your creations so well.
Love 'blues'
Lesley x

JessiVille said...

I love your beautiful blue cards for this week's challenge! I cracked up when you shared that you glued your 1st card closed. The colors and textures are so lovely and that quote is now my favorite! Hugs, Jessi xox

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Loving both cards! All that texture is yummy.:) Well, if I have to chose. :) I'd go with the second one with the quote. I love the quote. :) Thank you, Esther!

Sandi McLean said...

Both cards are fab! Texture and more texture - I want to touch!

Sada said...

Sooooo pretty. Love the colors and the perfect quote. It's all so gorgeous....I kinda have a thing for medallions as well??
xo
Sada
http://dressologyhq.blogspot.com

Kim Henkel Creations said...

Very lovely cards and I love hearing about the process! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I look forward to seeing some of your plaster work!