Mixed Media Art. Photography. Inspiration.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

"Waterlily" Texture Painting

















Hi!  Since I keep disappearing from these parts and have tons to catch up on, I'll just jump right in...

I'm going to start sharing some of my art that you haven't seen  yet out there in Blogland.  This piece was finished last May and I'm completely in love with it!  So much so in fact that it's recently sparked a whole waterlily/lotus series that I'll share with you later.















I started by printing out one of my photos in black and white onto paper, sealing it, and gluing it down onto a canvas.  I then used heavy gel medium to create texture, and painted over it all when it was dry.















Love that texture!















To finish it off I gold-leafed, antiqued, and sealed the sides.

The photo that inspired this piece was one that I  took many years ago, of a waterlily in a koi pond in my parents backyard.  I always knew I wanted to do something with it.  I'm so glad I did!  Ah... so pretty!  (Can I say that about my own art?  hee hee).















I have greeting cards available of this painting, and will get some prints made of it also.  If you're interested just let me know!

So what have you been up to out there in Artsy Blogland?  I'd love to know, it's been too long!

6 comments:

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Oh! What a great technique, and so beautiful! I love this. Thank you so much for visiting, and for your kind comments. I am inspired by your art...and really like your lotus flower.

Marleyne Mauri said...

I saw your blog annoucement on FB and I had to smile because I also know that keeping a blog is a lot of work..it's better to use the time making art than writing a blog. I also love mixed-media and I think your lotus is gorgeous.

Kristin said...

TG!!!!
How are you love?
Ohhh, I'm gonna try that heavy gel for texture.
Welcome back to Blog Land - I know I've been struggling to blog more often too :)
Hope you and the family are well and kiss that little Prince for me,
xoxoxoxo

Carin said...

Well hello! Welcome back! So exciting to see you back Esther! Love your painting. Yummy yummy...you are the texture queen.

Leah said...

Welcome back Esther!
I am so glad that a comment I left ages ago apparently was a blessing. As you know I always strive to be truthful and authentic in all forms of communication. Super models ha ha! That picture is four years old during my brothers wedding weekend {which shows you how scant the amount of decent shots we have} I cannot believe this art piece was taken from a photograph. Great job. So beautiful and unique. I love all your textured works. My own dabbling in mixed media is pretty much down to an occasional drop. Trying to just concentrate on only a few artistic outlets or I just get frustrated. I did do some mixed media photo art last month that I have yet to share.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Cheers.
Leah

Shelley Whiting's art said...

I love the subtle texture. It's very quiet and moving.