Mixed Media Art. Photography. Inspiration.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Two More Water Lily Paintings!


Hiya!  
In the last post I told you I started an "accidental" series of water lilies/lotuses.  I wasn't kidding!  Here's 2 more paintings that I did a few months ago.  Both of these paintings came together fairly quickly and easily.  I love when that happens. 


 I started this first one on a day when I wasn't feeling well, but I had a few hours to myself so I was bent on painting... at least for a few minutes.  So I decided that I would just "start a background" then call it a day.  I grabbed some papers and started to glue them down, and next thing I knew, I was painting over them before the glue even had a chance to dry!  


Then I glued more stuff down and painted straight over it, then painted more, scraped, drew with charcoal, dripped, painted some more...etc....  Then once I stopped and took a step back, the day was almost gone and I had a mostly finished painting (I finished it a few days later) AND I was feeling much better too.  Art therapy!! 









A bit of a different style and different colors for me, and that's I love about it... I was more loose and free with it.  That's one of the things I've been trying to work on with my art is to loosen up more and get more messy and free.  That's hard for a perfectionist, but I'm working on it!





My next painting was started soon after.  This one was modeled after my art journal cover that I showed you a few posts back... right HERE.


For this one I used my beloved Heavy Gel Medium to create all the texture, then added layers of paint and glazes, and gold-leafed the outside edges.

Hopefully you're not sick of waterlilies yet, because more are coming!   I do also have a door painting to finish up, among others too, if I feel a need to change things up, BUT I really am enjoying exploring the beauty and peacefulness of waterlilies.  Heck, if it was good enough for Monet... then why not?

So what subjects are you exploring lately?  Do tell!



4 comments:

Beverley Baird said...

Your new waterlilies are gorgeous! Especially love the second - great texture.

Unknown said...

I love the texture in this. Oh wow, I just want to touch it!! Your artwork is so amazing.

Kim Henkel Creations said...

Lovely creations Esther! and YEAH for art therapy!

A Magical Whimsy said...

I'm so glad I found you on 'the trodden path' and now I am following your blog.
I am going to have fun going to the directory link for collage making blogs. This is right up my alley.
I love what you are doing with the modeling paste. My sister and I are just getting into textures on collage' art canvases.

I am also into making dolls on the Cloth and Clay doll workshop on 'the trodden path'...also a very special art medium, using Creative paper clay over a cloth bodied doll, ALL HANDMADE. Richly rewarding and quite an experience.

Teresa in Central California
http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/