Mixed Media Art. Photography. Inspiration.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Do YOUR Thing (Raven Piece)















OK, so here's the art piece I teased you with a few days ago.  I made this a few years ago for my husband, David, who likes crows and ravens.  I found a wood plank and painted and glazed over it until it had the look I wanted.  I collaged on torn bits of dictionary pages and other scraps, along with some cheesecloth, then lightly painted over them.

On a Home Depot trip I had bought a few metal brackets that I called "label holders".  My husband laughed and told me what they really were, but I forgot what their "real" name and purpose is...and I really don't care ; )  To me they are perfect to pound into wood, then slather with paint, to become a nice base for a pretty label with a handwritten message on it....don't you agree? (below)















My husband is a writer (and High School English teacher), so I wrote "Write that which ONLY YOU can write".  I also wrote "The Raven" lightly on the background above the label, because David loves that poem by Edgar Allen Poe, so I wanted him to think of it for inspiration...only Poe could write The Raven as he did.  I really believe that we are ALL unique and have a "special something" that only we can do, in our own little way.  We just need to find it and refine it, whether it be art, writing, dancing, teaching, etc..  Martha Graham said it wonderfully.......


"You are unique, and if that is not fulfilled, then something has been lost." 
 Martha Graham















I drew out the bird onto black construction paper with a white charcoal pencil, and cut it out and glued it on.  The eye is a small rusty washer.  I drew swirls and other doodles all over the background with both white and black charcoal pencils then sprayed it with a sealer.


I found a small twig and I wrapped the ends with little strips of dictionary pages to create little "buds of inspiration", just waiting to bloom (and I thought the dictionary pages were perfect for this since David loves words ...and dictionaries).   I wrapped the base with a bit of cheesecloth and copper wire.

I pounded in three copper tacks and used the top on to hang the "quill", which is just a crow feather wrapped with a bit of cheesecloth and copper wire.


So just a reminder...don't forget to water YOUR inspiration buds, and watch them grow and bloom!


















20 comments:

Kristin said...

Texture Girl! LOVE LOVE LOVE this! How cool to do this for your DH - and I'm sure he loved it! What a wonderful inspiration you are and I just love all that texture - the washer and the cheesecloth especially. YOU ARE FAB! xoxo

Micki Wilde said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Crows have a special place in my heart :)

Micki x

Diane said...

Wonderful, wonderful piece--all that texture and those added touches are perfect--just perfect!

Unknown said...

Ok...now THIS is my favorite piece. This is amazing. And go figure, I had NO idea DaveO and I are sympatico on Poe and The Raven. I read it every year about this time...and it brings on such strong emotion. Like your AMAZING interpretation here. Even Poe would be impressed. Well, a little. NEVERMORE.....

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm so glad you found me! I just love your artwork! all the texture!....Gorgeous piece! thanks for visiting me! Patti ;+D

Carin said...

I get so happy when I see you've posted something new! You are are such an inspiration to me! This is an absolutely fabulous piece. Your husband sure is one lucky guy!

Anonymous said...

Oh I just adore this post...and all of it's buds! that is so very clever and artfully symbolic of you to make buds using wordy paper! I love it!

my hubby and I each handmade our anniversary cards this year...it is always good to inspire and share our art with our loved ones!

well done!

ciao bella

creative carmelina

Nancy Standlee said...

This is so creative and a special unique gift for your unique husband. How lucky he is.

Anonymous said...

Your hubby is a very lucky hubby! This piece is fantastic :)
thank you so much for all your support on my blog - it means so much to me!

Crafty Green Poet said...

this is wonderful, so many amazing details in it!

Beverley Baird said...

What a gorgeous piece - and what an inspiration it must be to your husband!
I love the quotes. Those words really touched me, especially the one by Martha Graham. I too often think that I am kidding myself about my "art" - this was a gentle nudge to just do it!
Thanks!

Kristin said...

Thanks TG! I love how you notice all those background details - I now think of you when photographing stuff . . . Happy Saturday, xo

Holly Dean Artist said...

I LOVE this raven/crow. The whole piece is inspired. Beautiful!!!

Manya Keseloff said...

All I can say is WOW... WOW... I love this entire post. It's so awesome and you are a writer as well. This is wonderful and I'm sure David loves it too! :)

A Magical Whimsy said...

I always enjoy viewing older posts on blogs...you just never know when a blinding flash of inspiration is going to hit you!
I really love this piece you made for your husband. The textures are amazing...and I love crows too...always have since I was a child. And of course Edgar Allen Poe is one of my favorite poets. So, this is an awesome composition with the altered embellishments which came together so beautifully.
XO
Teresa in CA
http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/
So nice to have you following my blog too!

Anonymous said...

Would you happen to remember the paint colors that you used on this piece? Thanks, Mary

Anonymous said...

Would you happen to remember the paint colors that you used on this piece? Thanks, Mary

E Makes Art said...

Hi Mary! It was years ago so I don't remember exactly, plus I tend to mix my own colors. I think for the main color I mixed up an avocado/olive green paint. I think I used some Turquoise (Phthalo) fluid acrylic by Golden, white paint for the highlights, and then I did an antiquing glaze over all of it with a burnt umber from what I can tell. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. :-)

Thanks!,
Esther

Mary said...

Oh how I love this art work! I stumble upon your work from time to time while looking for inspiration about Crows and Ravens. Even though this work is now 7 years old, your awesome art is timeless. I appreciate your unique creativity--I surely hope you continue to create and share your wonderful talent. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

E Makes Art said...

Mary birder, thank you so much for you sweet comment! You made my day! I am definitely still creating and although I post on Instagram (@emakesart) and Facebook (Esther Orloff Art), I have not been posting here on my blog. Your comment though reminds me why I should! Thank you so much :-)

xoEsther