Mixed Media Art. Photography. Inspiration.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Empty Vessels


Hi there.
Yes, I'm still alive.

I've still been concentrating on getting rid of unnecessary clutter around my studio.  I emptied out a large dresser and a huge steamer trunk that were both full of art supplies and unfinished projects that I haven't even looked at in years.  I even had things in there from high school art classes from over 20 years ago!  Yikes!  And there were art supplies I haven't touched in who-knows-how-long but hold onto "just in case"  I decide to try that medium again.  Fat chance.

There were paintings in there that I NEVER liked, so why was I still saving them?  Why have I hung onto a 20 year old unfinished painting that I'll never finish?  All it does is make me feel guilty every time I see it.  And funny thing is every time I think "oh, I'll finish it one day", so I toss it back in the trunk and close it up to not be opened for another year!  Why hang onto that guilt and burden? 

Why do we do this?  Why do we hang onto things from the past that we don't even like?  Is it for some sort of validation?  Yes, I was an artist in high school, so what?  I still am now, and I like my current work way better!


So I finally am getting rid of the unloved art supplies and ugly, unfinished paintings.  Maybe someone at Goodwill will like them, or at least buy the canvases to paint over.  I could've done that myself, but it felt better just to get rid of them and move on.

And the steamer trunk/time capsule?  Well, I finally got wise and moved it OUT of my studio after emptying it out.  It'll now be in our entryway to hold odds and ends that need a home.  And let me tell you, it feels good to do this!  I still have a ways to go, but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  

What do these photos of empty bottles (taken at Anthropologie a while back) have to do with this post?   They remind me of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it...so I can make room for the new and the good that is to come.

16 comments:

Brigitte aka Scrappassie said...

Good for you ! I know exactly what you mean ;-) Just think of all the beautiful art you will be making in your all new cleaned out studio. Better even, with a clean fresh mind as well.

Carin said...

Good for you! I'm proud of you! I'm a great believer in clutter clearing making space for something new to come into your life so can't wait to see all the good ideas pouring out of your studio space in the coming months.

I'm kind of in the middle of this process myself but don't think I'll get it finished before the babe arrives so have set it as my personal challenge for 2011.

Micki Wilde said...

Thats great, I love a good clearout it really does make you feel a lot better to clear the clutter :)

Micki x

Diane said...

Ooooh, you are inspiring me to clean--and not just my studio, but all of the years of clutter in my house!! Great post!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I love these empty vessels but it makes me feel like i need to fill them up - does that mean I'm empty? if you just make a move - like across the world, it will force you to pack all your stuff into boxes and leave them in your garage - not that I know anything about that!!!! Keep up the inspiring work Est! luv LisaP

SuviAnniina said...

Happy and colorful new year to you Esther !

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

ohhh....we like that! Emptying out all that you don't use to make room for all that 2011 will bring (you are so clever!!) Love that picture by the way :)
Yep....that is our goal this winter - when Christmas decorations are all put back and the house is put back (semi!) together we are tackeling both of our "supply" rooms....our "just in case we need it for a project" room. I can not tell you how much "fun" this will be....but it means that when we go to estate sales, we can bring back more things...but organize them into drawers, tubs and boxes IF the fit the qualifications!! HA!!
Thanks for stopping over Esther...we've loved meeting you this year and can't wait to blog with you in 2011!!
Happy New Year to you too!!
Karla & Karrie

vickie said...

your blog is majoy EYE CANDY...ohhh so glad i clicked on it finally after seeing your comment on my neglected little blog. facebook took over for a while but i need to get back to my blog. and now for some fun searching through yours!

Kelly said...

Esther;
Congratulations on cleaning out the old and bringing in the new. I wish you a very happy New Year my dear friend.
God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Can you come to mine and clear the clutter? :):):)
I know what you mean about keeping old unfinished paintings. Good for you forchucking them!

Happy new year to you sweet Esther! :)

Anonymous said...

Honey. Thank you for cleaning out all that stuff.

-your husband

Kristin said...

Ohhh what a beautiful shot! I LOVE it!!! Ironically, I have been doing my studio too - so loving throwing it all out to start anew - perfect sentiment for the new year!
So sorry it took a while to get back - we just got home from being out of town - I hope you had a GREAT New Year's and I so look forward to more with you in 2011 (and Anthropology? MY FAVORITE store!) xoxoxo

Shelby and Bev said...

i have been doing the same thing esther...cleaning, de-cluttering, simplifying...it feels really good.
happy new year, sweet friend...
xo

Eff said...

Awesum shot.

Sada said...

You go girl and clean, clean, C-L-E-A-N!!! Make room for all that amazing additional creativity you have bottled up inside (get it?) Cuz of the bottles...ha...i LOVE this shot. But i got a thing for bottles. Kinda weird, I know. Anyway, suck it up and keep cleaning cuz it will bring many more wonderful blessings to your already-fab studio. Love ya!

Kristin said...

xoxoxo