Mixed Media Art. Photography. Inspiration.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

So Tired, But Inspired!

WIP
I'm back from the "Plastered in Wax" class that I took today at the "Create Mixed Media Retreat" here in So Cal.  I had a blast!!  It was so much fun and I learned tons, and came home with some very cool (unfinished) art pieces.  I can't wait to finish them, but in the meantime here's a peek at them.   Three are almost finished and the other three not so much.  I'll let you figure out which is which!  And I can't wait to make even more!  Woohoo!



I was so excited to meet our teacher Patricia Baldwin Seggebruch (she's on the left)!  She was wonderful!  She's so talented and sweet and fun.  I highly recommend taking a class from her if you ever get a chance.  I was a huge dork though and totally forgot to take photos any of her art pieces that she was working on!  ARgh!! My favorite ones were "works in progress"... umm...can't imagine how they can get any better, but I know they will!  Darn forgetful photographer!!  I'll keep an eye on her blog or Facebook to see if she posts them when done.


 During class I kept thinking, "Who is this stylin' woman who keeps making the most beautiful art pieces in class?  This better not be her very first art class".  Ha!  Then I found out that she's Lauri Mika, the artistic force behind the book "Mixed-Media Mosaics".  Ahh... that explains it.  Just look at this incredible piece (below) that she made in class (it's lighter in person ... sooo pretty!!!).


And to top off this fantastic day I snuck into Chris Cozen's class to say hi.  This amazing woman is one of the teachers of the online Texture Town class that I LOVE, and she teaches many more (and I want to take most of them, lol)!  She is such an inspiring, genuine person and a darn talented artist to boot!  Just click on her name to go check out her website and you'll see what I mean.



I feel truly blessed to have met all three of these talented ladies, along with all of the inspiring students.  That's one of the best things about taking classes, not just learning great new techniques from great teachers, but being inspired by your fellow students too, and hopefully inspiring someone in return. 

 It was a good day. 

8 comments:

Antonella said...

Wow!!! I cannot wait to see what they look like finished because they are FANTASTIC!!! So glad you had a lot of fun and what an awesome experience.

Hugs, antonella :-)

Diane said...

How wonderful this all is! Your pieces are great. And Laurie Mika!!--I Love her and her art--I would have loved to have taken a class with her--great post!

Kristin said...

There you are! You are so beautiful - I don't think I've seen you in pictures before - other than artistic shots ;)
SO COOL - yes, that is the artist I met - so glad you loved it and the pieces you have (and are continuing) to create are just so beautiful. I am really loving the one on the top left - and did it all smell so fab?!
I wanna go now . . . dramatic sigh . . . xoxoxo

Manya K Photography said...

It looks like you had a blast!!! I can't wait to see all the awesome things your going to create.

Jo-Ann Dziubek-MacDonald said...

Oh wow, these are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Single Stone Studios said...

These are so fun to see! I knew you would rick this class and you totally did! I love the texture in your work! Can't wait to see the finihsed pieces, this is, if art ever is "finihsed". I always struggle with that part.

Shelby and Bev said...

your pieces are so beautiful...did you just love working with wax? i can't wait to start experimenting myself...
it sounds like you had an amazing time...lucky girl :)
xo

Sada said...

AMAZiNG, Amazing work. Wow, that class must've been unbelievable!
xo
Sada
http://dressologyhq.blogspot.com