Mixed Media Art. Photography. Inspiration.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Handmade Tote Bag for "Artistic Mother"


I finished sewing this tote bag today and I'm so excited about it!  I'm already planning on sewing more in different styles and colors.  Fun!  To get a closer look, just click on the picture.  I may have gotten  little crazy with the prints, but tell me what you think.





While I was sewing the zigzag onto the ribbon I noticed this pretty stitch on my machine and thought "hmm...I'm almost done, but why not?!"  So I did just a few inches of this pretty flower scroll onto one of the handles.  I like it, very artsy.




This is a picture of the back of the bag, just one solid print.




I made it reversible with a cute pocket on the inside!



 I haven't sewn in many years, not that I was ever much of a "sewer", but as a kid I used to design and sew clothes for my barbies!  Then I stopped sewing for some reason, not sure why.  I tried to pick it back up years ago, but  I guess it never stuck.  I'm so thankful for The Artistic Mother book by Shona Cole, because that's where this project came from, so without her, my sewing machine would still be buried in my closet right now.  And without Trudys' Artistic Mothers Group, I would just stare longingly at the tote bag project, but not actually do it!  Thank you two wonderful, supportive, and talented ladies!!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

So so so pretty! And I love the mix of fabrics - it really makes a statement, especially with that picture! And it goes so well with your journal! I agree, I would have never actually completed the projects in the book without the prompt of this group - yeah us!! Beautiful, Kristin xo

Carin said...

Wow, I just love your tote! It's really pretty! Love your journal too, just went back and had a look at it. I've just started my tote today after a bit of a break from creative stuff, and I'll be very lucky if it looks even half as good as this!

Sada said...

You must make me one of these IMMEDIATELY!!! Or I will just die.....Gorgeous work E!!

Lorraine said...

what a beautiful tote..I like the pocket idea and love the different prints..it makes it more interesting than prints that match.

Trudy said...

You tote is beautiful.

Trudy
www.artisticcreationswithtrudy.blogspot.com